The Five Stages of Grief with Natalia

 Hi everyone! I hope you all have been having a relaxing reading break! 

I enjoyed this novel the best out of the ones we have read so far. In my blog post, I will briefly summarize how Natalia goes through the five stages of grief and what I thought was questionable. Time of the Doves takes place in Barcelona. Time of the Doves has a wholesome beginning. That is what I thought when reading the words on the pages. Natalia has broken up with her old boyfriend and is swept off her feet by Quimet when he asks her for a dance and calls her Colometa, which means dove in Catalan. Then, Natalia and Quimet are set to be married. Natalia and Quimet have what is called to have a "wedding week" instead of a wedding night. Quimet wants to have a child, and the couple has two. One child is Antoni (a boy), and a girl is named Rita. Sadly, Quimet becomes an absentee father and shows his inconsistency for his family by raising pigeons (doves) and aspiring to make money from them. He also proudly works on his motorbike. A woman writes this novel. This novel is written from the female perspective, as Natalia is the narrator. I realized this was a female's perspective when she said, "My father remarried and me a young woman all alone…" (16). One thing that worried me while I was reading was the scene when Natalia tried and almost killed the baby doves before they hatched.

The war started, and soon Quimet was sent away, so that was a hard time for Natalia even though he was already an absent father; losing him to the war, however, is a different feeling of loss. Antoni is sent to a camp for refugee children. Natalia is at home with Rita and has lost the two men in her life. Natalia loses her beloved pastry shop. When I was reading this, I felt sorry for her because soon, everything came crashing down in her life. Since Natalia needs money, she sells all her sheets, cutlery, etc. So she can buy food; however, because of the war, there is not much food on the shelves in the supermarket, and the only meat they sell is horsemeat. I could never eat that. Subsequently, Natalia gets told that Quimet has died in action, and Natalia is heartbroken from my perspective.

I think Natalia goes through the five stages of grief. The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I think Natalia was angry and depressed and a bit in denial when she found out Quimet had died because she had the insight to kill her children with hyaluronic acid. However, she could not get any acid to kill her children, and I think that was the Universe saving her children from their deranged mother. In the lecture, Jon-Beasley-Murray asks us if we judge Natalia on what she will do to her children—grievous sins. I think Natalia is going through a lot of pain, guilt and anger. She called herself "having the main strength as a dead cat" (145). I believe Natalia was feeling much self-judgement at the time after she was thinking of killing her children, and she reframes that feeling into acceptance, which is the last stage of grief, in order for her to get some healing from the death of Quimet. In my opinion, I would judge the decision that she was about to make, but I would not judge Natalia's character. She was going through a great deal. 

Discussion Question #1: Do you agree that Natalia was going through the five stages of grief after Quimet had died?

I’ll take our Professor's question as well as I am curious about other people's answers,

Discussion Question #2: Would you judge Natalia on what she was going to do to her children? 


Comments

  1. Hello!
    I personally didn’t pick up on stages of grief, so i really enjoyed reading your insights. To answer your second question, I personally can't fully judge Natalia on what she was going to do. Yes it's super messed up, but I feel like the circumstances forced upon her and the society she lives in almost left her no choice.
    Maya B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! To answer your second question I can't completely judge Natalia for her choice as given her circumstances and mental state it does appear that she truly thought that was the best course of action for her children and her. Similar to you I judge the decision but not Natalia as there is always other options but putting myself in her shoes after everything she went through, it is understandable. - Ella Petel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering your second question, I don't think I would judge Natalie as in her perspective, seeing her kids being so malnourished and pretty much half-dead kind of broke her mentally. There could be better options but considering the state she was in, I don't think she could've done much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! To answer your second question, I don't think I could fully judge Natalia for what she was going to do to her children. It is hard to understand how someone can get to that point because many of us will never experience something this horrific. I think there was other options for Natalia, but it wasn't like she gave up automatically, it is shown she tried to survive. Natalia thought this must be the only way if she thought death was better than their circumstances. It is also important to factor in that she had lost her husband which added to the grief she was feeling.
    - Samantha Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  5. "However, she could not get any acid to kill her children, and I think that was the Universe saving her children from their deranged mother." In fact, she got the acid. Or not? Do you remember the interaction with Antoni, that scene that ends up changing the lives of Natalia and her children? What happens to her when she finishes going through those stages, as you say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I really enjoyed reading you blog. I thought how you pointed out the five stages of grief was very insightful as I did not think of this at all. To answer you second question, I wouldn't judge Natalia specifically because her experiences are what led her to have this thought. I do think that it may be very hard to completely understand her thoughts particularly because the things she has been through is something we most likely won't ever experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

The Shrouded Woman by Maria Luisa Bombal